HH the Dalai Lama's visit to DC this July...

Politics / Religion / Sports

HH the Dalai Lama's visit to DC this July...

Postby DashikiJoe » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Kalachakra for World Peace!!
HH the Dalai Lama is coming to Washington D.C. this year, in July, to conduct a Kalachackra Initiation! This is a pretty big ordeal, with several initiations taking place with the use of an incredible sand mandala as part of the ceremony! You can participate actively and actually take the initiations, or you can come as an interested observer. The entire program runs July 6th through July 16th. Some of the preliminary dates are for preliminaries, celebrating the Dalai Lama's birthday(an extra!!), site preparation, constructing the mandala, etc...

"During the first seven days of the Kalachakra, from July 6 through 12, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, along with the monks of Namgyal Monastery and senior lamas, will conduct rituals which prepare and consecrate the venue. These include chanting of prayers, creation of the sand mandala and other ancient rituals."

July 9, 10, and 11
His Holiness will give teachings to present the foundations of Buddhist thought on July 9, 10 and 11. His Holiness the Dalai Lama explained the importance of these preliminaries during the Kalachakra offered in Bloomington, Indiana, in 1999:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I would like to congratulate those who are attending here only for the preliminary teachings and not the Kalachakra. Because in actual fact the topics I am covering in the preliminary teachings are the more important elements of the practice. So I would like to express my appreciation for those who are just attending the preliminary teachings.
…When I announce a Kalachakra Empowerment, because Kalachakra is so popular, it attracts people; but what I really intend is to spend time during the preliminary teachings and speak more about the general aspects of the path of the Dharma…. But if people simply come for the empowerment with no real grounding in the preliminary practices… then simply attending the Kalachakra ceremony alone? I do not know what benefit that can have."

July 12—15
The Kalachakra Ritual Dance on July 12, opens the next phase of the event, with the three days of the actual Empowerment extending from July 13 through July 15.

July 16
On the final day, July 16, the Kalachakra for World Peace 2011 will close with a ceremony offering prayers for the long life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama; a long-life blessing for all those in attendance; and the dissolution of the sand mandala.

Here is the link to more information: http://www.kalachakra2011.com

If anyone is interested in attending, please let me know! Maybe we can hook up in DC! I know there are at least 4 of us usual suspects planning to attend at least a portion of that time! Namaste!!
Gratefully yours,
Dashiki Joe
~ 9 mile skid on a 10 mile ride! Woohoo!
DashikiJoe
Splintered Family
Splintered Family

Return to The Alley